Re: RAC/how should i store oracle files on a SAN

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamcontrol_at_iion.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:01:13 -0700

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1122953947.776480_at_yasure...
> Andreas Sheriff wrote:
> > "Moe" <mwahidi_at_emanagelaw.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>The thing is that my SAN already have RAID and RAID 10, so do you
> >>think it's ok if i have ASM on top of the RAID?.
> >>Im thinking of going with raw for the two CRS files and ASM for the
> >>rest.
> >>
> >>Thanks
> >>
> >>Moe
> >>

> > Aren't ASM and raid redundant?
> >
> > Hardware based RAID's are ALWAYS better than software based RAID's
because
> > the hardware based RAID has its own CPU.
>
> Redundant? Not at all. It is important to remember that ASM does a lot
> more than a simple LVM (Logical Volume Manager). Sure ASM creates disk
> groups and failover groups but it also load balances when you add and
> remove disks. RAID isn't going to do that.
>
> ASM will also let you move from one array to another by sequentially
> adding disk from one and subtracting from the other. RAID won't do that
> either.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> http://www.psoug.org
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace x with u to respond)

Darn it. I'm still reading the 9i official documentation. My knowledge of 10g must have slipped since passing the 10g cert (not using it and all).

'Found some interesting things the the docs (and other places) that the OCP certification didn't cover, though.

For the next person who asks about OCP, tell them it's a good place to start, but as always, as has been said, almost nothing beats experience.

--

Andreas Sheriff
Oracle 9i Certified Professional

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL