Re: RAC/how should i store oracle files on a SAN

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 17:08:22 -0700

Andreas Sheriff wrote:

> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message
>

>>Moe wrote:
>>
>>>Hi Everyone
>>>
>>>I'm setting up a RAC using oracle 10g on a two redhat linux 3.0
>>>enterprise boxes and the oracle files are going to be on the SAN (data
>>>files, redo logs, etc...)
>>>1- My SAN is set as RAID 5 and RAID 10. so linux sees it as /dev/sda
>>>(raid 5) and /dev/sdb (raid 10)
>>>2- I'm going to have the voting disk and registry files of the CRS on
>>>an OCFS partition which im going to create on the raid 5. Not sure that
>>>this is the best way.
>>>3- Regarding the rest of the oracle files (data files, etc..
>>> ORACLE provides these options for cluster storage:
>>> raw devices
>>> ASM
>>> ORACLE cluster file system.
>>>I would like to know what is recommended to use.
>>>-Since my SAN already has a RAID, what would happen if i use ASM, is
>>>it a bad idea?. it's like a raid built on a raid. is there a
>>>performance drawback doing that?
>>>-Is it suggested to use OCFS for eveything?. I know it is the easiest
>>>to use, is their a performance issues using it even for the data files,
>>>redo, etc..?.
>>>-Is OCFS a file system that can be used on any drive, SAN?
>>>-I'm trying to avoid using RAW devices since it hard to manage them
>>>plus i need to create a partition for every file.
>>>-In cluster storage can i have my oracle files on other file systems
>>>like linux ext3 file system?
>>>-I'm trying to reach a decision on what file system to have my oracle
>>>files on based on fact that i have a SAN setup as RAID 5 and RAID 10.
>>> Thanks Moe
>>
>>Forget OCFS. Oracle is in the process of forgetting it so it is not
>>a good direction to go for a new installation. Unless your SAN is
>>from Apple RAID5 is also like a bad idea due to the heavy penalty
>>of writes and degradation during rebuild.
>>
>>I'd strongly urge you to look at RAW managed by ASM and let ASM
>>provide the mirroring.
>>--
>>Daniel A. Morgan
>>http://www.psoug.org
>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>(replace x with u to respond)
>

> Oracle is deep sixing OCFS!?!??!  Really?

You heard this from me, not Mark Townsend, so it is hardly the official word from Redwood Shores.

But during my last trip to the hallowed halls the comment was made, and I paraphrase, "OCFS was intended to solve a problem we no longer have so how long it will be around is anybody's guess. I'd like to dump it."

The speaker was not Mark ... but it was someone with some degree of influence. I've heard this comment from others too. Now that Oracle has ASM I don't see that OCFS brings anything to the party. Perhaps Mark would like to offer his opinion. If he does ... I will be listening.