Re: Creating indexes on a large table

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 1 Aug 2005 14:19:50 -0700

prmail_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Creating indexes on a large table
>
> Hi,
> I have 2 large tables on which we have to create indexes.
>
> Table 1: ( Contains 4 Billion Records )
>
> Col 1 : Col 2 ( Datatype Number (10) )
>
> Table 2 ( Contains 1 Billion Records )
>
> Col 3 : Col 4 : Col 5 ( Datatype Number (10) )
>
> What is the most efficient way to create indexes on all the columns. I
> would be using all the columns separately in queries.
>
> Thanks !

The answer depends upon information you've yet to provide:

Oracle release
Patch level
Whether or not you're using the CBO

Those areas are starting points. Other questions may arise as the information starts flowing.

You DO know which release of Oracle you're using? The answer you seek is version-dependent; what is a valid response for one release may not be valid for a later release as new features will affect how you construct such indexes.

Provide the requested information. You really can't get an answer until you do so.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Aug 01 2005 - 16:19:50 CDT