Re: How to rebuild Init file

From: yoyo <yoyo_at_ma.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 13:46:32 -0400

Andreas Sheriff wrote:

> "Maxim Demenko" <mdemenko_at_arcor.de> wrote in message
>

>>yoyo schrieb:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>this may sound very silly, but I need to ask anyway, because I spent 1/2
>>>day already trying to figure it out, mabey I'm missing something basic.
>>>I have an Oralce 8.1.7 database on AIX. It was backed up regurlary, but
>>>in my silliness, I never backed up the init.ora file for it.
>>>Well, the drive it was on crapped out, and upon replacment, my database
>>>(of course) wound't start, no init file. Is there an easy way to rebuild
>>>this file? I tried a generic OOB init file, but it doesn't work (didn't
>>>think it would).
>>>It's not a super important database, we mostly use DB2 now, this was
>>>just left over from years ago and get's used only occasionally now, it's
>>>not big at all.
>>>Any help is appreciated.
>>>Thanks
>>>Ken
>>
>>Things, you should know about your database are:
>>sid, database name, location of controlfiles and block size (there is
>>only 5 possibilites, you can try all of them if you don't know it)
>>Also ( is not a requirement , but is more comfortable )
>>background_dump_dest can be set to avoid default destination
>>You can try to start your instance with only that parameters and do
>>tail -f alert_<SID>.log
>>So, you will just see, if oracle complains about some parameter and
>>correct them if needed.
>>
>>Best regards
>>
>>Maxim
>

> Search your alert log for startup entries.
> You'll find all your non-default init.ora parameters there.
>
> Look for something that kinda resembles this:
> Starting up ORACLE RDBMS Version: 8.1.5.0.0.
> System parameters with non-default values:
>   processes                = 50
>   shared_pool_size         = 52428800
>   java_pool_size           = 20971520
>
> I hope you didn't loose your alert log as well. :-D

My Oracle skills started to come back, thanks to all your suggestions. I found the control files and put those in the init, then based off the parms in an old alert file, I set those (block size most importantly), the only thing I struggled with then were rollback segments, but I just created a new tablespace and new segments, and after it was running ok, re-created the originals, then blew away my temporary new one. I don't really know why, but after I had the right segment names, the database would come up, but they would all be offline, when I tried to make them online, I got this:

SVRMGR> select segment_name, status from dba_rollback_segs;
SEGMENT_NAME                   STATUS
------------------------------ ----------------
SYSTEM                         ONLINE
RBS1                           OFFLINE
RBS0                           OFFLINE
RBS2                           OFFLINE
RBS3                           OFFLINE
RBS4                           OFFLINE
RBS5                           OFFLINE
RBS6                           OFFLINE

8 rows selected.
SVRMGR> alter rollback segment rbs0 online; alter rollback segment rbs0 online
*
ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

The tablespace datafile was there and online. But anyhow, as I mentioned, a new tablespace with new segments, blew away the original segments and tablespace. THen it ran fine, so I re-created the original tbs name and segments (I guess I really didn't have to), then blew away the temporary new ones I made, restarted and everything comes up great now.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Ken Received on Mon Aug 01 2005 - 12:46:32 CDT