RAC/how should i store oracle files on a SAN

From: Moe <mwahidi_at_emanagelaw.com>
Date: 1 Aug 2005 07:38:46 -0700

Hi Everyone

I'm setting up a RAC using oracle 10g on a two redhat linux 3.0 enterprise boxes and the oracle files are going to be on the SAN (data files, redo logs, etc...)
1- My SAN is set as RAID 5 and RAID 10. so linux sees it as /dev/sda (raid 5) and /dev/sdb (raid 10)
2- I'm going to have the voting disk and registry files of the CRS on an OCFS partition which im going to create on the raid 5. Not sure that this is the best way.
3- Regarding the rest of the oracle files (data files, etc..

   ORACLE provides these options for cluster storage:    raw devices
   ASM
   ORACLE cluster file system.
I would like to know what is recommended to use.
-Since my SAN already has a RAID, what would happen if i use ASM, is
it a bad idea?. it's like a raid built on a raid. is there a performance drawback doing that?
-Is it suggested to use OCFS for eveything?. I know it is the easiest
to use, is their a performance issues using it even for the data files, redo, etc..?.
-Is OCFS a file system that can be used on any drive, SAN?
-I'm trying to avoid using RAW devices since it hard to manage them
plus i need to create a partition for every file.
-In cluster storage can i have my oracle files on other file systems
like linux ext3 file system?
-I'm trying to reach a decision on what file system to have my oracle
files on based on fact that i have a SAN setup as RAID 5 and RAID 10.

Thanks

Moe Received on Mon Aug 01 2005 - 09:38:46 CDT