Re: database infrastructure design

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamcontrol_at_iion.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 00:04:40 -0700

<hafeez_splendid_at_yahoo.co.in> wrote in message news:1122874347.362676.322760_at_z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> hi all,
> Can anyone provide some information in the form of documents
> regarding "Database Infrastructure Design ". It would be better if the
> document is matured enough to implement the concepts in it .
>
> Its very urgent .
>
> Thanx

You really need to consult a qualified DBA.

To simply look for a document on "Database Infrastructure Design" is to invite disaster. Oracle is vast and complex and should not be treated lightly. Tell your boss you need more time.

Some people here have been working with Oracle for years (5+), but still consider themselves students of Oracle. After all, the documentation per product is 55,000+ pages and growing every release.

You need to accomplish the following things first before considering any type of Oracle implementation:
What are your requirements for a database? (Storage needs, accessability, parallesism, server platform/OS, RAID level, redundancy, etc) How will the database be used? (Web-based, named user, data warehouse, etc - OLAP, OLTP, DM, DW...)
Who will admistrate the database? (Full time DBA, consultant, etc)

These questions are by no means an exhaustive list of things to ask about your intended system, but it's what I can think of off the top of my head.

If you wish to contact me offline for help, let me know and I will provide contact info.

--

Andreas Sheriff
Oracle 9i Certified Professional

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL