Re: No future for DB2

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 31 Jul 2005 22:15:32 -0700

Buck Nuggets wrote:

> Hmm, most databases I've worked with don't require an entire subsystem
> to make restoration humanly possible. Granted - oracle gives a vast
> variety of restoration options, still - most databases don't need
> entire manuals on just backup & recovery: just a single chapter in a
> book. A chapter that a junior dba can easily master, and can be
> expected to perform correctly in a pinch.

Very good point, in fact.
One might of course also deduct that most other databases gloss over the multiple possibilities and combinations of recovery. One size fits all comes to mind. With the obvious consequences in downtimes.

Having said that, I'm the first to agree: Oracle recovery is a tad too far optioned and it can be very confusing. I'd like to see a much simpler approach for the Standard Edition of the software and yes of course, a "full blown all bells and whistles" for the Enterprise Edition.

> oracle project. But it's only great compared to the oracle
> alternatives. Which is a problem that appears peculiar to oracle.

I assume you mean "the alternatives within oracle"? ;) Well, having been on the receiving end of recovering SS and udb databases in Windoze, all I can say is without RMAN I don't see Oracle as that much different from the others:

"Cleanup remnants, restore from backup, restart in maintenance mode, apply logs, reopen for general access."

Exactly what is soooo complex about that? Or soooo diferent from what everyone does?

Ah!: you mean what to do if you do NOT want to wait for a complete restore of ALL database files?

Well, asking how to do that in udb and SS would be a good starting point. Instead of blaming Oracle for being able to, with/without RMAN... Received on Mon Aug 01 2005 - 00:15:32 CDT