Re: No future for DB2

From: Data Goob <datagoob_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:50:00 -0400

Noons wrote:
> Serge Rielau apparently said,on my timestamp of 29/07/2005 8:52 PM:
>

>> Funny, I thought assembly language to rules supreme.

> That too, but I'm not a masochist... Done my time with
> 360 and 370 Assembler thank you very much: I leave that
> for the zOS DB2 programmers. ;)
>

>> Folks are debating DBA skills in these forums. Ever tried to get C/C++
>> skills? It's a b**** to get a good C programmer nowadays.

> Actually, they are pretty easy to find in Australia. And cheap, too.
> Same goes for VB and C# programmers, BTW. Nowadays it's harder to
> find a J2EE guy than anything else, as a matter of fact.
>
>> Certainty the kids who wrote C when they were 16 and hit the job with
>> 10 years experience don't exist anymore.

> Yeah but they were never any good. I'm talking about professional
> programmers. Not script kiddies writing TSRs for fun.
>
>> Point being, you wouldn't go back to micro-coding, you wouldn't go
>> back to assembly. Too expensive in labour, too unwieldy.
>> C/C++ is already turning into a niche skill.

> Begging your pardon, that's the biggest pile of marketing dung
> out there. I understand it's not sourced from you. But it's
> totally untrue.
>
> Which language do you reckon the ENTIRE edifice of GNU and open
> source software is built on? And Linux? And Apache? And most of
> the opensource appservers? And just about every other piece of
> commercial software for the PC environment? Adobe software,
> for example? Symantec? The entire edifice of Windoze/SS/Microsoft
> Office software? DotNot itself?
>
> Java/J2EE??? Pah!! Freakin' NO WAY in the darn world!!!
>
> Do you think there is ONE LINE of Java in ANY search engine
> out there? It's ALL C and C++, Apache, opensource OS and s/w and
> script languages, Serge. I'm in the thick of it now, I know what I
> see. 3/4 of all that crap you hear about Java/J2EE and internet
> technology is TOTALLY and UTTERLY false: a complete hoax!
>
> Don't believe the marketing BULL that Java has taken over the world:
> it's the biggest hoax I've ever seen! DotNot and c# alone have
> MORE developers than ALL the Java dungheap!
>
>> The abstraction layer just keeps on rising because Moore's law and
>> inflation favours throwing Hz and bytes at any problem over brain.

> You can't throw Hz at a J2EE app and expect it to run well.
> Believe me, I've seen that approach daily. For 4 looong years.
> It never worked, not even ONCE!!!
> I've seen piddly apps with less than 200 tables in them
> throw a big iron server (name with-held but it has 3 letters)
> completely out the window. The darn thing is so moronically
> inefficient it doesn't matter how much hardware you throw at it,
> it just WON'T work with any SIGNIFICANTLY large app.
>
>> See above. You, I, we are too expensive. We expect our salaries to rise.

> Nope. Wrong again. Middle age experienced techos are
> a dime a dozen and dirt cheap compared to snotty kids who
> expect to be on the way to the 5th million by age 28.

> [...]

Amen!

I see one or two Java jobs occasionally now and then, almost never. Don't know where the shops are that are using Java, and most certainly don't see any commercial applications using it. I have seen a couple of file-manager-applets, but not much else, or installation programs. Maybe inside intranet apps, but even there never heard of many.

If there are commercial applications, they are either C++ or scripted like PHP, Perl, ASP, or C#.

The rest what Noons said.