Re: troll

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:28:19 -0400

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
  >>That's why I'm assuming that db2/oracle/informix have about 5-10 years.
> Your assumption is incorrect. Does any of those 'free' products have
> any R & D budget to it's disposal? The moment an R & D budget is
> needed, those products won't be free anymore. Quite the same as what
> you see with Redhat and the likes.
> This means commercial products will always be lightyears ahead, and
> they will also have the power to start selling scaled-down versions.
I think this is an interesting point.
I've yet to clearly see where the open source community blazed the technological trail.
Thsi boils down to teh question how much research is funded (not necessarily exceuted) by companies.
If those companies loose their source of income they won't fund more research. So there is a self limiting factor here. And no "tabbed browsing" is not technology ;-)

I do see open source moving into the commodity areas. As long as there is a bleeding edge commercial software has it's place.

Call it RAC, GRID, autonomous computing, queuing, advanced XML, information integration. I think the commercial database vendors will stay ahead of the open source crowd for the foreseeable future. Comparing marketshare between the faction in this environment is another can of worms.

Just my 2 cents canadian
Serge

--
Serge Rielau