Re: Dumb Question regarding Indexes

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:51:02 +0100

"Perm" <rhugga_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Then I guess this newgroup is useless then Mr. Personality.

>You really need to get out and have some fun, maybe you won't be quite
>as unhappy.

As Daniel wrote

You have no Oracle version
You have no Explain Plan
You have no trace file
You have no WHERE clause
You have no basis to even discuss creating any index whatsoever

You have a table with 5 columns. You index those column(s) where doing so will give you an increase in performance in some areas (as measured) without decreasing in other areas (again, as measured).

This is a subject where a simple "Yes, go ahead and index the lot" and/or a "don't index anything" response is useless (or worse).

*_You_*, the person charged with administering the db have to make choices based on the application(s) that are accessing the data, frequency of same, and your own experience(s).

Your original question is like going to "alt.english.literature" and asking "I'm thinking of writing a book, how many pages should there be?". The answer to your question is "it depends". More info is necessary to be able to answer it.

Insulting those who tell you the truth isn't going to win you any friends.

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.