Re: No future for DB2

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 20:33:49 -0600

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message news:1122685628.347635_at_yasure...
> No ... those [TPC]benchmarks are irrelevant period. It doesn't matter
> whether they show lightspeed or glacial. They are irrelevant as
> are the bribe-induced garbage that spews from Gartner and other
> shills.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan

Oracle Corporation is a founding member of the TPC and has been a very strong supporter of the organization over the years.

Perhaps you should talk with Meikel Poess, Principal Software Developer, Oracle Corporation (I got this title form an email he sent to me).

Meikel is (unless he has given up the post recently) is the Chairman of the TPC H and TPC-R Subcommittees, who helped me with the TPC dbgen program which generates data for the TPC-H benchmark.

Meikel has written serveral articles about benchmarking in general and the TPC benchmarks in particular:

"Generating Thousand Benchmark Queries in Seconds" by Meikel Poess and John M. Stephens, Jr.
http://www.vldb.org/conf/2004/IND2P3.PDF "The authors would like to thank the TPC, and the members of the TPC-DS subcommittee for the contributions to this effort."

"TPC-DS, Taking Decision Support Benchmarking to the Next Level," by Meikel Pöss, Bryan Smith, Lubor Kollár, Per-Ake Larson Proceedings of the 2002 ACM SIGMOD international conference on Management of data
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=564691.564759

New TPC Benchmarks for Decision Support and Web Commerce" by Meikel Poess and Chris Floyd, ACM SIGMOD Record, Volume 29 Issue 4. http://www.sigmod.org/record/issues/0012/standards.pdf "For as long as there have been DBMS's and applications that use them, there has been interest in the performance characteristics that these systems exhibit. This month's column describes some of the recent work that has taken place in TPC, the Transaction Processing Performance Council."

Have you no shame, Daniel A. Morgan. Received on Fri Jul 29 2005 - 21:33:49 CDT