Re: UPDATE problem - FROM Clause not supported in Oracle

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:27:40 +0200

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 18:39:05 +0100, "David Portas" <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas_at_acm.org> wrote:

>You mean Oracle can't support Standard SQL92? I accept that you'll need
>proprietary features in the physical implementation and for procedural code
>but surely straight DML ought to be portable.

I mean people like you seem to think SQL server is the standard, and SQL server code will run unaltered on Oracle. Do you know how many sites suffer from that assumption?
Do you know how many DBAs tear their hair out because that assumption from the Evil Empire aka Microsoft?

Oracle != Sqlserver.

As for the standard, usually there are several levels in the standard. Oracle usually complies to the entry level.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA