Re: Is it possible to change dbname?

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:21:54 GMT

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:12:40 -0700, Perm amused us by writing:

> It is safe to assume that EVERY post in the technical newgroups can be
> fixed by reading SOME manual. Yes I think so. People come to newsgroups
> for quick and easy resolutions to problems. Hmm. Yea let me read a 400
> page book instead of finding a quick answewr to a colleague in a
> newsgrouop.

One of the reasons I reference manuals in my responses - there are often several ways to accomplish things. And often the first guess response is wrong and will lead to long term maintenance nightmares.

In this day and age of Quick and Dirty programming, wrong seems to be acceptable in that the long term maintenance frequently comes from a different budget. Still, I HATE getting 3 AM calls because some Dodo got a quick answer on a newsgroup and applied it without understanding the implications.

Sigh

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com