Re: Dumb Question regarding Indexes

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:43:12 +0200

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:22:10 -0700, "Andreas Sheriff" <spamcontrol_at_iion.com> wrote:

><focus target="Perm">
>Look up Index Organized Tables (IOT). An IOT combines an index and a table
>for a faster means of access to data.
>Clusters are also good for tables that are typically used in a join, and
>materialized views recomputed data so access is faster still.
></focus>

I don't think it can be recommended (which you can digest from your response) to use IOTs everywhere. Also I notice exactly no one has ever used clusters. They are used in the dictionary and that is it. The usual policy ought to be that all foreign key columns are indexed.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA