Re: Is it possible to change dbname?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 19:40:42 +0200

On 29 Jul 2005 08:52:26 -0700, "Rhugga" <chuck.carson_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>What exactly is db_name for? I just get so many issues when writing
>code (perl and php) that connects to oracle. You would think
>hostname:sid:port would work but it always doesnt. Search google
>returns scores of issues relating to this db_name paramter.
>
>Does it need to be a DNS-resolvable address for the host the database
>resides on? What purpose does it serve? All code is going to use
>hardcoded connection strings using either a) the oracle sid or b) an
>alias defined in tnsnames.ora
>
>-CC

You are confusing the service_name of a database for the database name.
I would be tempted to ask for more details on the 'score of issues' you mention. Most of these requests originate from people who just start hacking away, and who don't even read the 'Getting started manual'

You are incorrect hostname:sid:port always doesn't work. In fact it does work for the jdbc thin driver.
The rest of your questions can easily be clarified by reading the net documentation.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA