Re: DB recovery 'opportunity' - not urgent

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:12:27 -0700

Ed Stevens wrote:
> Platform - Oracle 8.1.7 on Win2k server
>
> Disclaimer: I was called in to pull this db out of the fire. I have
> never seen this db before, and had no hand in its setup or current
> condition. The guy that normally covers this db is unavailable.
>
> App and DB starting reporting problems on Jul 22. I was called in on
> July 28.
> Startup of db fails. Here are the last few lines from the alert log:
>
> Completed: ALTER DATABASE MOUNT
> Thu Jul 28 14:33:18 2005
> ALTER DATABASE OPEN
> ARCH: Beginning to archive log# 3 seq# 831
> Thu Jul 28 14:45:10 2005
> ARCH: I/O error 19502 archiving log 3 to 'E:\ORAARCH\XVLP\ARCH_831.ARC'
> ARCH: Archiving not possible: error count exceeded
> ARCH: Failed to archive log# 3 seq# 831
> ORA-16038 signalled during: ALTER DATABASE OPEN...
>
> The first thing I checked was available disk space at the archive
> destination. There were several dozen gig available. All web serches
> (MetaLink, this ng, AskTom, Google ...) keep pointing to disk full
> conditions. We do know that the server admins have been monkying with
> the disks, which are in a SAN unit. We have gotten little info from
> them ... they (and the server) are located in Mexico, and their English
> is little better than our Spanish.
>
> Further tidbits:
>
> There is very little alert log history available. There are scripts on
> the server for stopping and starting the DB's (two of them) and part of
> the shutdown renames the alert log to a backup, keeping only three
> generations. Unfortunately, this was done 3 times in one day -- after
> the problems began -- so any info on what led into the current
> situation has been lost.
>
> On the day the problems began the orginal DBA, for reasons unknown,
> modified the init.ora file, removing references to the 2d and 3d
> control files. Those files still exist, but of course are out of sync
> with the one remaining active file.
>
> Now, for the real kicker ... there are no backups ......
>
> Fortunately, the way this app shares data with the mainframe, we *CAN*
> recover by recreating the db from scratch and having the app issue a
> request to reload from the mainframe. But as an educational exercise,
> I'd like to explore other possibilities -- just in case I find myself
> in a similar situation with an app that doesn't so easily recover
> itself.
>
> The course of action that seems best is to:
> 1 - stop the db
> 2 - copy the one active control file over the two old ones (with
> corresponding renaming)
> 3 - re-instate the control file references in init.ora
> 4 - startup nomount
> 5 - open resetlogs
>
> What say the jury?
>
> Yes, I've modified the shutdown script to keep much more alert.log
> history, and will be addressing the lack of backup ...

I say what in the alert log that you showed us makes you think a control file has anything to do with the problem?

I say a quick trip to metalink with the error messages will quickly reveal a solution.

Based on your disclaimer I am not in the market to give you a solution given what appears to be your lack of experience and concerns that 'the solution' might make things worse than they already are.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org