Re: 'Help' Book Recommendations ?

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:17:07 +0100

"Meg" <meghandahar_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Can anyone recommend some helpful books to get me up to speed on
>Oracle?
>I recently took a job at a small chain as a database manager of a
>database containing transaction-level information for all the retail
>stores and other store spec's. The current system is an Access db and
>not too sophisticated. I've used Microsoft SQL Server to manage large
>db's previously and create stored procedures in the DTS packages. This
>company is looking to migrate their system to Oracle, which I've never
>used. I know that there are some differences in SQL syntax between
>applications, and I need to find out about Oracle's facility with
>stored procedures.

What OS/hardware do you plan to use on the server? Client (Widoze I presume). How much RAM?

How big is your db? How much bigger is it getting by day, week, year?

How many transactions per second at peak time?

If Access is currently handling the data, then you mightn't need Oracle (not that I'm bashing Oracle), but I would certainly not use Access for anything other than managing a phone list.

What development environment are you planning on using?

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.