Re: No future for DB2

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:26:35 -0400

DA Morgan wrote:
> Serge Rielau wrote:
>

>> In 10 years there will be a lot more XQuery.
>> I fear who reigns RDBMS in 10-15 years is as interesting as IMS
>> marketshare.

> I don't think so. XQuery will not stand the test of time any more
> than storying XML in the database will. XML was developed for a
> purpose. Storing it and querying it makes no sense, wastes resources,
> and is highly inefficient.

*lol* Apparently Mark T. (speak up man!)and his opponents at MS and IBM disagree.
There isn't one major DBMS that hasn't realized that XQuery is a must have. Oracle 10gR2 has it, SQL Server 2005 has it, Viper has it.

The hierarchical DBMS of the world will stick around The RDBMS will stick around
and this new breed of DBMS will find their place. All that is part of Information Management.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau