Question - RMAN 8i - Catalog or control file?

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Jul 2005 10:51:32 -0700

Hey, all.

I'm configuring RMAN under 8i (AIX 5.2), and have been told by my team lead that the preference is not to use a catalog, simply because it's just one more point of failure / db to back up / etc.

So my 'task' is to roll out RMAN with the control file only option.

I'm trying to make sure that this is really the best choice.

At this point, I am also seeing compelling reasons that I SHOULD use the catalog - for example, under 8i, the 'persistent configuration parameters' are not retained - which means that scripting would be more cumbersome, especially with multiple databases.

If these parameters can be provided in a standard shell script, then I guess that's okay (haven't quite gotten to that point yet) - but what I'm currently looking for is an outline of those bits of functionality that are lacking when using the control file option.

According to the docs, this functionality includes "Stored scripts" and "restore and recovery when the control file is lost or damaged."

FWIW, we have two 8i servers, one of which has 3 dbs and one of which has one.

We also have a 9i server - I'm a little more comfortable with the control file option under 9i, as it seems like there's less functionality lost.

Does anyone know of any 'summary' articles which discuss the Catalog vs Control file question, and might assist a DBA in deciding which option is best for their environment??

Tx,

DW Received on Thu Jul 28 2005 - 12:51:32 CDT