Re: Sybrand Bakker: Gets humiliated in public?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 21:18:44 +0800

fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:

> James Barnett wrote:
> > Sybrand Bakker May 8 2001, 10:00 am show options
> >
> > Newsgroups: alt.music.j-s-bach
> > From: "Sybrand Bakker" <post..._at_sybrandb.demon.nl> - Find messages by
> > this author
> > Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 15:57:04 +0200
> > Subject: Re: info on Bach's seal/signet JSB / BSJ
> > | Report Abuse
> >
> > OK,
> >

> > I truly apologize for not
> > having surmounted all obstacles to get hold of such
> > literature via appropriate library lending -services.
> >

> > In the first place, this could only have happened if I would have been
> > aware
> > of your publications.
> > Apparently they weren't quoted that much, because I was not aware of
> > them. I
> > am apologize again, I was stupid!
> >

> > Let it be known to you that most of these 'library lending services'
> > you
> > mention, are available during office hours only, so I simply don't have
> >
> > access to them. Like almost all musicologists in my country graduating
> > in
> > the 80s I was forced to change profession, and I would have to take
> > holidays
> > to 'access those library lending services'
> > So question: How would I have done that. You probably get paid by some
> > university, so by taxpayers, and I travel all around over the country,
> > and
> > if I could get hold of your publications, I would have to read them in
> > my
> > spare time. That's something you probably can't understand.
> >

> > It quite often happens that musicologists seem to see 'the light': the
> > one
> > and only logical explanation for everything.
> > Usually those musicologists from that point onwards purposively ignore
> > any
> > contrary evidence, as that evidence doesn't agree with their *faith*.
> > You definitely seem to be one of them, instead of responding to
> > contrary
> > evidence, you simply attack the person who submitted the contrary
> > evidence
> > and make him look like stupid
> >

> > I only reply in this fashion because evidently you have seen fit on
> > purpose
> > to offend and humiliate me in public.
> > As I can read French I also read your other comments on me in your post
> > Mr. Chazot.
> > I definitely don't consider such behavior as civil and appropiate to a
> > scientist, and right now I can only assume you can't *proof* your
> > theories
> > are true, as for the second time in succession you avoid debate and
> > instead
> > attack me and make me look silly. I'm very grateful to you for this!!!
> >

> > I apologize for this kind of reply, I will leave you alone with your
> > radiant
> > truth.

> [...]

I agree with your assessment, and whilst people are entitled to post in whatever fashion they choose, the frequency with which people take objection to Sybrand's posts does suggest that maybe the issue is not *entirely* with the the people that do the posting...

Knowledge sharing is cool... polite knowledge sharing is way cooler...

--
Connor McDonald
Co-author: "Mastering Oracle PL/SQL - Practical Solutions"

web: http://www.oracledba.co.uk
web: http://www.oaktable.net
email: connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com

"Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat."