Re: No future for DB2

From: Data Goob <datagoob_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:46:03 -0400

DA Morgan wrote:
> Mark A wrote:
>

>> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message

>>> Graph the calendar year vs. the average age of DB2 developers and DBAs.
>>> Do the same for the other major commercial RDBMS products. You will have
>>> your answer.
>>>
>>> It is not that DB2 is technically incapable of competing. Rather IBM
>>> is presiding over an aging baby-boom workforce. Speaking only from my
>>> experience in the US ... a large number of colleges and universities,
>>> including mine, have active programs teaching SQL Server and Oracle.
>>> I can not think of a single one teaching DB2.
>>>
>>> I left Fortran for a reason.
>>> I left COBOL for the same reason.
>>> Those working with DB2 should take a serious look at which is more
>>> important ... product loyalty or paying the mortgage.
>>> --
>>> Daniel A. Morgan
>>

>> Even if your premise is correct (which I believe is greatly
>> exaggerated), your conclusions are backwards. If there are more DB2
>> DBA's retiring, then there will be a shortage of DB2 talent and more
>> job opportunities.
>>
>> Given the ease of administration improvements in 10g (not to mention
>> the improvements that are no doubt coming in future Oracle releases),
>> as 8i and 9i installations migrate to 10g, that alone will create at
>> least a 30% theoretical reduction in the number of Oracle DBA's
>> needed. I expect this trend to continue as Oracle fends off MS SQL
>> Server.

> Even if your statements are correct I don't believe it is going to
> happen that way.
>
> Lets say I have DB2 in my facility ... I was at a major IBM shop in
> Portland Oregon three weeks ago that is precisely that.
>
> And lets say the CTO isn't a software bigot but rather has his
> corporation's best interests at heart. The CTO has a choice ... hire
> young inexperienced talent and train them up to the level of those of
> us in our 50s and 60s on mainframes which means also teaching COBOL,
> CICS, MVS JCL, OS/390, z/OS, TSO, VSAM, IMS, REXX, ISPF, and CLISTS
> or get already trained talent straight out of a college program.
>
> Lets say the CFO of the firm has a choice of maintaining big iron
> with attendant costs in infrastructure including power conditioning,
> air conditioning, etc. or can build a mainframe from 2 proc or 4 proc
> commodity hardware for a fraction of the cost and get the same
> computing power at a fraction of the cost. Look at the number of
> super computers now build from commodity hardware for example.
>
> And lets say the Board of Directors is paying attention to the fact
> that reducing costs increases the value per share of the stock which
> is their fiduciary responsibility to the stockholders the direction
> is clear.
>
> The number of DBAs required in the future is going down like the
> value of Sun Microsystems stock.
>
> So yes there will be holes in the organization created. But I've yet
> [...]

Even if your statements are correct ( following the trend here :-) DB2 scales better than Oracle, or SQL-Server. The big question is why IBM hasn't really done the marketing. The answer is Java. They have put a lot of eggs in the Java basket, but have hardly spoken about DB2 as "da bomb", or the hottest thing. It's not their style to do so, but you do get the impression that IBM will stay the course with its quirky, goofy, self-deprecating commercial ad campaigns. There does appear to be a move to make DB2 ubiquitous in the market silently, as a utilitarian tool, as well as a mainstream database. But marketing is where the action is, and any product, no matter where it comes from won't survive without great marketing. SQL-Server is about to have its big day Q4 2005, but doubtful we'll see any noise from IBM. Oracle will probably have its usual suspects show up in the trades with compelling acrimony why SQL-Server is a bad choice--again--and the cycle will repeat... What is really interesting is the SQL-Server market, and where everyone will be focused for the near term. Received on Thu Jul 28 2005 - 06:46:03 CDT