Re: No future for DB2

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:19:23 -0400

Mark A wrote:
> IBM purchased Informix for the patents (which had significant license fees)
> and the market share. The buyout grew out of discussions with Informix about
> license fees for the patents and IBM realized that Informix was asking for a
> significant amount relative to the value of the whole company (Informix
> stock had seriously depressed in value trying to compete against the big
> 3)..

Mark, you got that one reversed:
http://news.com.com/IBM+sues+Informix+for+patent+infringment/2100-1001_3-236666.html IBM had been negatioating with Informix for a while to get Informix to pay and likely to cross license in the process. This went nowhere, so IBM sued.
IBM Corp has cross licensing agreements with many soft and hardware companies and is deriving billions(!) of dollars from the licenses. I'd love to know how much Oracle and MS are paying for the cross-licensing, btw....

> TPC benchmarks are not exactly cheap since you really need a group of people
> working full time on it, and lot of expensive hardware. This can easily add
> up to a few million per year. IBM would rather that customers switch to DB2.
IBM also doesn't publish TPC on DB2 for zOS or DB2 for iSeries. Neither does it publish IMS. From how I read the TPC-C specs IMS could comply and it would likely run circles around any RDMS on TPC-C (including DB2 and IDS) due to its architecture.

To be entirely fair there are several metrics in TPC. Some of them (like price performance for "realistic" systems are not all that expensive. It's teh TB sized TPC-H and millions of TpmC in TPC-C that darin ones wallet.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau