Re: No future for DB2

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 01:14:12 -0600

"Captain Pedantic" <theharlequin36_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3krdv3Fv2edcU1_at_individual.net...
> I was actually thinking of Informix. DB2 was not designed specifically for
> UNIX, but for the mainframe. We don't know if Informix would appear at or
> near the top of TPC benchmarks because IBM won't enter it for them. We
> used
> to believe that this because it would embarrass DB2, but personally I
> think
> it's more likely to be an extension of the policy of never promoting
> Informix, except to the existing user base.

DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows was not designed for the mainframe. It is a different code base than DB2 for z/OS. It was designed for OS/2 and AIX in its first incarnations.

IBM purchased Informix for the patents (which had significant license fees) and the market share. The buyout grew out of discussions with Informix about license fees for the patents and IBM realized that Informix was asking for a significant amount relative to the value of the whole company (Informix stock had seriously depressed in value trying to compete against the big 3)..

TPC benchmarks are not exactly cheap since you really need a group of people working full time on it, and lot of expensive hardware. This can easily add up to a few million per year. IBM would rather that customers switch to DB2. Received on Thu Jul 28 2005 - 02:14:12 CDT