Question: RMAN 8i syntax clarification

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Jul 2005 14:51:26 -0700

Hey, all.

I'm just getting my feet wet with RMAN under 8.1.7.4 (on AIX 5.2).

I've connected to the catalog and the target, and am trying to work out the syntax for backing up tablespaces.

I tried to create a channel, using the syntax which I see in the Oracle dox and cited in the groups: "allocate channel d1 type disk" or variants of same.

I keep getting syntax errors when I try this, and am not being given a whole lot of leeway in terms of what rman will accept as input here.

Here's an abbreviated session log of me thrashing about.

RMAN> allocate channel d1 type disk;
RMAN-01005: syntax error: found "identifier": expecting one of: "for" RMAN-01008: the bad identifier was: d1

RMAN> allocate channel for;
RMAN-01005: syntax error: found ";": expecting one of: "delete, maintenance"

RMAN> allocate channel for maintenance;
RMAN-01005: syntax error: found ";": expecting one of: "name, type"

RMAN> allocate channel for maintenance name; RMAN-01005: syntax error: found ";": expecting one of: "double-quoted-string, equal, single-quoted-string"

RMAN> allocate channel for maintenance name "d1" type disk; RMAN-01005: syntax error: found "type": expecting one of: "connect, debug, format, parms, ;, trace"

I feel I'm off-track here. Can someone give me a quick nudge in the right direction? Ie why the heck isn't it accepting the allocate string in the syntax that I see in the groups and in the product dox??

Thanks. I feel like such a noob.

Wait - I AM a noob! I guess I feel better now. ;-)

BD Received on Wed Jul 27 2005 - 16:51:26 CDT