Re: Rman - Curious Question

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:41:47 +0200

On 27 Jul 2005 11:49:39 -0700, amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:

>My I speak off the record?
>
>THAT IS DUMB!
>
>What if I had 1 terabyte of data? Are you saying that in order to
>duplicate my entire database, I'd have to copy 1 terabyte of data to
>the remote host, then perform the DUPLICATE operation, which would
>result in at least another terabyte of information.
>
>What if I do not have enough disk space?
>
>I'm sorry, but this is a real bad thing and I think Oracle should
>change it and allow the backup files to be in the same directory on any
>server, as long as they are accessible via Net8........

Quoting directly from the docs:

However, all backups, copies of datafiles, and archived logs used for creating and recovering the duplicate database must be accessible by the server session on the duplicate host. If the duplicate host is different from the primary host, then you must make backups and copies on the primary host disks available to the remote node with the same full path name as in the primary database. You can accomplish this goal in two ways:

Using an operating system utility to move the backup pieces, image copies, and archived logs from the primary host to the remote host to an identical path
Using NFS or shared disks and making sure that the same path is accessible in the remote host

So your assertion 'Mr' Amerar you need to copy everything is false. *Once again* it is established you *NEVER* read the docs *CAREFULLY* Please admit that to Oracle when you are going to submit that enhancement request.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA