SQL Tuning

From: Pat <pat_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:02:02 +0800

Hi all,

My new job requires me to tune lots of SQL which run for long time. I'm not keen in this area and would like to get some idea how to start.

I read some books on EXPLAIN_PLAN, TKPROF, etc. but those are not easy to understand for me (I'm new to Oracle !). Although I generate some information from the PLAN_TABLE, I still have difficulties in understanding those terms like RANGE SCAN, MERGE SORT, etc.. Besides, even I found some tables were queried by full table scan, how could I force it to use the index? From some books, it said even CBO was used, Oracle may still use full table scan for some tables if, based on the statistics analysed, Oracle found it's worth to do so.

Any good web site have expertise in this tuning area?

thx. Received on Wed Jul 27 2005 - 10:02:02 CDT