Replication Options

From: <hamoup_at_renaps.com>
Date: 26 Jul 2005 07:37:53 -0700

Hello,

we are in the process of choosing a replication product for one Oracle 10.1.0 pushing data to a 9.2.0 instance.

We are projecting a large amount of transaction and we will need to have a maximum lag of about 15 minutes, possibly less.

  1. Data Guard is not an option since it is not compatible with different Oracle releases.. (we must have same Oracle version + Same OS version)
  2. Oracle Replication (Materialized Views, Master sites, etc... ) we prefer not having to control the replication at the table level..
  3. this leaves us with Oracle Streams (which works cross- Oracle versions and can be done at the schema level) .

Questions :
  a)What do you think of Oracle Streams ?   b)Can somebody that is using it give us some feedback and advice on this technology ?
  c)How fast is it ? /is it suitable for a Production environment   d)does it require alot of DBA intervention ?

please answer as well to hamoup_at_renaps.com

Thanks in advance,

Patrick Hamou
Consultant
Renaps Technology Canada inc.