Re: No future for DB2

From: Mark A <nobody_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:26:09 -0600

"Mark Townsend" <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net> wrote in message
> When he says 'entire back office infrastructure' he is talking about
> Oracle's internal business apps (i.e General Ledger, AR, Payroll, eMail,
> Document Management, Support, CRM etc). AFAIK, IBM does not have
> equivalent software.

That is exactly why the statement is illogical. IBM does not have such backend software, so how can IBM be faulted for not converting software it does not have?

AFAIK, IBM has made all of it's database and related software run on Linux, including Linux running on IBM mainframes.

I certainly am not discounting that Oracle has a larger market share than DB2 on Linux, but the article made it seem like IBM did something wrong by not supporting Linux for their own software. Received on Mon Jul 25 2005 - 18:26:09 CDT