Re: Newbie: Simple User question

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 25 Jul 2005 13:05:41 -0700

Paul wrote:
> fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:
>

> >Unless you create an on-logon trigger to kill any session not
> >originating from the localhost you can't restrict client connections to
> >a specific server.
>

> Ahem... what about restricting the IP address of the *_database_*
> client to 127.0.0.1 - i.e. the web server, which *_it_* does the
> serving of pages to the outside world? Obviously a web site that can
> only be accessed by one machine is pretty pointless, though given the
> laziness of the programmer, who knows?
>

> At least that's what I thought the original question was?
>

> Paul...
>
> >David FItzjarrell
>
> --
>
> plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__
>
> XP Pro, SP 2,
>
> Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
> Interbase 6.0.1.0;
>
> When asking database related questions, please give other posters
> some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
> The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
> Thanks.
>
> Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
> time analysing and attempting to help, please
> do not top post.

With MySQL it's possible to restrict a user account to a specific server, regardless of how other user accounts can connect. This is, I believe, what the OP wants. And, as far as I know, the only way to get that is with an on-logon trigger.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Mon Jul 25 2005 - 15:05:41 CDT