looking for technology

From: Hegyvari Krisztian <hegyvari_at_ardents.hu>
Date: 25 Jul 2005 12:52:37 -0700

Hello,

I am looking for a database technology to use, I will try to describe the situation.

The system is a loan originating system, using Magic 9.3sp2 (RAD tool), direct sql commands and lots of packages. The money flowing into the system is tied to the monthly installments, generating accounting information. The installments can be changed even after some money received, which means to "untie" the money, delete the old installment, write the new one and put the money back. This also generates accounting information of course. After an event like this happens, the financial manager has no way of telling exactly why the old accounting records are there. Therefore they want us to put a journal on each table that decides the sum and the ledger, so they can go back and check the journals. Some lists and online screens need to be modified in a way that they need information from the journals rather than the table itself. This information must be kept years back. The whole database is currently 75gigs, and the number of the tables we need this journal on is about 15-20. Ora 8.1.7.2, but a newer one can be arranged, if it shows significant advantage in showing our problem.

Any ideas about simple ways to achieve this? Any way this can be done "automagically" with some cool Oracle function (I would like to say I need an old version of the table, not the current one, for example).

Our current approach is to put a journal behind each table, fill them with triggers and have a job which periodically puts a stamp on each journal record and accounting record not yet stamped.

Of course we have to maintain consistency when we go back in time, assigning money to an installment means writing to 3-4 tables, more than one updates each table, etc...

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Please reply to hegyvari at ardents.hu as well, but I am going to check back in the next few days.

Thanks in advance

Krisztian Hegyvari Received on Mon Jul 25 2005 - 14:52:37 CDT