Re: Problem with some simple PL/SQL.

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:54:22 +0100

fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:

>You've been given the proper answer, yet fail to use it. Here it is
>again; hopefully you'll make use of the information and be finished
>with this thread:

I immediately understood and used René's info. I didn't know/understand that this parameter had to be (re)set using the ALTER SYSTEM command (with which I'm not familiar yet!), rather than the more usual, at least for me, SET PARAMETER parameter_name = xxx.

>alter system set utl_file_dir='D:\Paul' scope=spfile;
>Then RESTART your database. The utl_file_dir parameter should then be
>set.

Did all that and it worked a treat. I can sense that you are a bit irked by my ignorance/stupidity - all I do is urge you to be patient.

I do try and google and/or research by reading a book (yes, desperately unfashionable I know) for things before asking obvious questions, but this IMHO is one of those "Ah, so *_that's_* how it's done" moments.

The cryptic "help" given by SQLPlus doesn't help much either! Anyway, thanks for your post, and I hope to read your (often very good!) posts again in the future, but please spare a thought for those of us who are trying to learn, at home to boot - no colleagues to ask &c.

Bonne nuit et fais de beaux reves.

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.