Re: Is it possible to switch to Apache2 with Oracle 9i?

From: ohaya <ohaya_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 13:45:52 -0400

> You could try the Apache 2 that come with 10g - I have not tried it, but
> fail to see why it would not connect to 9i.
>
> You cannot have any Apache installed, apart from the Oracle Apache,
> as Oracle compiles with older C-compiler versions - at least, mod_plsql
> is compiled with the same C compiler, and will work.
>
> Another option would be to abandon Oracle Apache altogether, and go
> for Apache/Tomcat or similar. That works like a charm.

Frank,

Thanks for the suggestions...

Unfortunately, Tomcat is not an option for me, as I'm not allowed to run it at work. That was why I originally wrote my web app to run under the Jserv environment that installed with the 9i database server.

Actually, in a test environment, I have a machine that has both Oracle 9i database server (and "Oracle Apache"+Jserv) and "regular" Apache2 (2.0.49) installed and running. The Oracle Apache is listening of port 7778, and the regular Apache2 is listening on port 443 (HTTPS). So, it seems that running both Oracle Apache and non-Oracle Apache on the same server isn't a problem.

The problem is getting the regular Apache server to integrate with the Jserv, and that's what I can't figure out how to do.

I tried taking the last part of httpd.conf from the Oracle Apache and adding it to the end of the httpd.conf of the non-Oracle Apache:

# Include the configuration for Apache JServ 1.1
include "E:\oracle\ora92\Apache\Jserv\conf\jserv.conf"

# Setup of oprocmgr module.

#

# This directive identifies each remote apache instance that will be
# sending requests to processes (e.g., JServs), managed by local Apache
# instances. This directive is used by the local process manager to
share
# routing information with remote apache instances via non-SSL HTTP
messages.
# The directive is repeated for each remote apache instance that will be
# sending requests. The ProcNode directive that refers to the local
apache
# instance will be ignored, but may be supplied to facilitate uniformity
# in configuration across apache instances. Arguments to the ProcNode
must
# be sufficient to reach the remote instance of apache via non-SSL HTTP
# messages. It is not considered an error if the remote apache instance
is
# unreachable, as no assumption is made about the starting order or
# availability of apache instances.
# Syntax: ProcNode <hostname> <port>
# Example: ProcNode abc.com 7777

<IfModule mod_oprocmgr.c>

   ProcNode jimnew 7778
   <Location /oprocmgr-service>
     SetHandler oprocmgr-service
   </Location>
   <Location /oprocmgr-status>
     SetHandler oprocmgr-status
   </Location>
</IfModule>

# Include the Oracle configuration file for custom settings
include "E:\oracle\ora92\Apache\Apache\conf\oracle_apache.conf"

But, when I try to run an "apache -t" on the Apache2 bin, I get:

E:\Apache\bin>apache -t
Syntax error on line 9 of E:/oracle/ora92/Apache/Jserv/conf/jserv.conf: Cannot load E:/oracle/ora92/Apache/Jserv/ApacheModuleJServ.dll into server: The
specified module could not be found.

This is despite the ApacheModuleJserv.dll being in the location cited above.

Is this because the ApacheModuleJserv.dll is also compiled by Oracle with their own 'C' compiler?

If that's the case, then maybe you're right, and what I'm trying to do is just not possible :(...

Jim Received on Sun Jul 24 2005 - 12:45:52 CDT