Re: Preferred Application Server

From: Bob Jones <email_at_me.not>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:35:22 GMT

"nunyo beesness" <nunyo_at_beesness.com> wrote in message news:aVxEe.2234$Fk4.1243_at_newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> Bob Jones wrote:
>> I am a little confused when you bring Apache into the picture. I don't
>> know Paradox. I assume it is a client-server product and you want to
>> convert it to web-based applications. How does your Paradox app interact
>> with Apache? Do you have any preference as to what programming language
>> to use?
>>
> Paradox can operate with a db server back end, but it's normally used as a
> file served database. Imagine each w/s having an instance & each instance
> touching the same tablespace on a file server.
>
> Paradox's BDE engine writes SQL (poorly). In c/s mode, pdox will "select
> for update" records into a pdox table on c:, make changes, then post to
> oracle.
>
> The apache server holds our engineering drawings. Paradox holds the URL
> for the drawing & pops it up in the user's browser. The Drawing index is
> very complicated and the URLs are stored in pieces in several fields.
>
> Actually Pdox does this extremely quickly. The time consumers are other
> functions.
>
> Programming languages- I'm afraid after 11 years, the only language I'm
> fluent in is ObjectPAL, paradox's native tongue, and HTML/XHTML. I've
> written tons of Fortran 77, some C, Pascal and Basic but nothing modern.
>
> I'll have to learn whatever I end up with, be it Java or PLSQL or VB or
> whatever the heck .Net is.
>
> Foster Glascock

In that case, you are really open to a lot of options other than just Oracle AS and Coldfusion. In fact, you may not even need a full bloom applicaiton server. Since Apache is already in place, you could simply add PHP as a module. It gives you a mean to create dynamic pages at the same time provide database functions. PHP is very resource efficient and easy to learn if you already know C. Received on Sat Jul 23 2005 - 17:35:22 CDT