Re: Protecting the encryption key from the DBA

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 14:16:26 +0200

Frank van Bortel wrote:

> I used grep -a on the datafile, expecting to find *no* match; I found
> a match, so I concluded no encryption had taken place.

And I shouldn't have used grep - once the table has an encrypted column, the original data is moved - it becomes inaccessible to Oracle, but is still in the datafile.
The block dump shows this, the grep does not - it "sees" the moved data, and I wrongly concluded TDE did not work. Rest assured - it does, but has side effects you should worry about.

Looking at the whole now, I would recommend: - move the new table, with encrypted data, to a fresh   tablespace
- export, recreate the original tablespace, and import alternatively, export/import all tables to a new tablespace, and trash the old datafile(s).
- take a fresh, cold backup
- trash all your previous backups.

In that way you prevent flashback queries and data mining on raw files to retrieve the unencrypted data.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel