Re: Preferred Application Server

From: nunyo beesness <nunyo_at_beesness.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:01:30 GMT

Paul wrote:

> nunyo beesness <nunyo_at_beesness.com> wrote:
>

> Please don't top-post. Humans read from top to bottom, and it is
> contrary to ng guidelines - plus many of the big hitters here refuse
> to respond to top-posted requests.

Sorry- just came off another group that wants the opposite. I agree- top down is more intuitive.

>>Requirements- not really much in the Oracle world.  Existing Paradox app
>>is about 600Mb, 175 tables, maybe about 25-30 forms, 40-50 concurrent users.

> 600 MB in Paradox tables?
>

> <cringe - eyes popping out of head>
>
> your company's users must be masochists of the first order!
>
> </cringe - eyes popping out of head>.

Not so bad since our hardware upgrade in April- gigabit lan, all P4 3.4 workstations. I've used every trick in the book to keep it fast enough to be useable in the past though.

> If you're enterprise licensed for Oracle, then go with it. If I were
> choosing from scratch however, I'd definitely go with Firebird of
> PosgreSQL.

Looking at HTMLDB now- it may be the easiest way to go.

> Is the original app written in Delphi?

No Delphi, all Paradox & Pdox Runtime

>>It will be a distributed database with 2 sites connected by a T1 wan.
>>The biggest requirement is a table of URLs pointing to about 2Tb of pdfs
>>and jpgs stored on an apache web server.  Each site will have their own
>>replica of the web server with relative paths.  These pages will be hit
>>about 400-500 times a day- really light for that much data.

> "Look to the future, young Skywalker!"
>

> What about in 5/10/whatever years' time when usage will go up?
>

> Paul...

Agree- but I'm due to retire in 6 years!

Foster Glascock Received on Fri Jul 22 2005 - 13:01:30 CDT