Re: AIX or W2k3 to run Cluster?

From: Jack <Jack_at_none.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:51:42 +0300

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> kirjoitti viestissä:1122046201.575163_at_yasure...
> Jack wrote:
>> I would not take NAS, even they have come better. (perhaps SAN is even
>> mandatory).
>
> Why? Prejudice and mythology from how things were years ago? You might
> want to note that Oracle Corp., itself, uses a large amount of NFS
> mounted NAS. And if it is good enough for Larry ... it is good enough
> for me. So do a very large number of Oracle's customers.

If your system is relative small then SAN is not so expensive. NAS is good enough if you do not want something better (as SAN).

>> SAN with RAID-10 will be good choice (1MB stribe size, or at least
>> 256kb).
>> Look that hardware is RAC-certified.
>
> How can you feel comfortable giving this kind of specific advice when
> you don't know the OP's storage vendor, don't know the nature of the
> i/o that will be done, etc.

Morgan, you would likely want to count every bits, but there is also an easy way:
 Look: http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/performance/pdf/opt_storage_conf.pdf  You might also have a look at Juan Loaiza's article "Optimal Storage  Configuration Made Easy" http://technet.oracle.com/deploy/performance/

>> For reference:
>> http://h71019.www7.hp.com/ActiveAnswers/downloads/HPInfiniBandSolution_OracleRAC.pdf
>> http://download.oracle.com/docs/pdf/B10766_08.pdf
>
> I don't believe this. First you reocmmend "relatively cheap" Intel-based
> hardware and then you suggest the most expensive mem-interconnect strategy
> possible. How does this make sense? And what does Intel
> hardware or Linux have to do with the SAN vs NAS question at all?

Well, it'is only meaning is: to look also some other vendors than IBM. Do you think that Proliant DL380 is too expensive server?

-Jack- Received on Fri Jul 22 2005 - 11:51:42 CDT