Re: 2 instances on same machine

From: amogh <amogh.r_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:34:31 +0530

tsardaryan wrote:
> I have a 2 working servers, but 1 of them now is broken (but I have all
> files from them). Now I want to start 2-nd instance on 1-st machine
> with data from 2-nd machine. I make changes in /var/opt/oracle/oratab
> file, in listeners and copy all datafiles and init files (dbs and
> init*.ora) from 2-nd server to 1-st.
>
> After that all I chenge my ORACLE_SID and try to startup 2-nd instance
> it starting correctly, but when it try to mount database it gives an
> error
>
> ORA-01102: cannot mount database in EXCLUSIVE mode
>
> Please help

A file with name "lk<your $ORACLE_SID>" will be created under the dbs directory(Oracle uses this file to lock a shared memory area). Delete the file. This should fix your problem.

If the above step didn't help, check if there are any left over processes Oracle did not kill during the last shutdown. If there are any, kill them all and then try.

Regards,
Amogh Received on Fri Jul 22 2005 - 08:04:31 CDT