Re: Oracle and SAN

From: John Wood <jwood_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 04:40:36 GMT

Thanks guys for all the responses.

In a SAN box, can we configure it with several RAID 1 volumes with specific physical drives ? Or are they just several RAID 1 volumes built logically, i.e. we don't know which physical drives tie to which RAID 1 drive ?

In my existing databases, I use all RAID 1 configuration for all 5 volumes; 3 for Oracle tablespaces, 1 for redo logs and 1 for RMAN backup storage. Should I configure all RAID 1 in the SAN as well ? From marist89's response, it sounds like that RAID 5 is not good for redo logs in SAN even though they have lots of cache.

Please advise. I need the info to tell the SAN administrator how to configure me 5 or 6 Volumes for the database.

Thanks.

JW.