Re: AIX or W2k3 to run Cluster?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:48:55 -0700

Jack wrote:
> "DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote in message
>

>>psrmc IWNLCSNTAAWD wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone running 10g in a cluster environment?  I'm trying to decide
>>>between AIX or W2K3 for my cluster.  Any tips, advice, horror stories,
>>>etc..  Appreciated.  The DB is mission critical and HA is a mojor
>>>concern.  The DB currently runs on a standalone AIX box.  Typically, this
>>>would be a no brainer but I've heard that 10g and W2K3 play very well
>>>together.
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>PSRMC
>>
>>By definition, from what you've written, you've ruled out Windows.
>>Mission critical <> Windows
>>HA <> Windows

> That is a bit oldfassion thinking

Not at all. That is reality proven by benchmark after benchmark, stability test after stability test, and security attack after security attack.

>>I can't think of a single major player in the RAC space using Windows.
>>In fact I can't think of a single major player in the Oracle space running
>>mission critical apps on Windows.

> That migth be a decade ago, not nowadays.

True on 20 July, 2005.

> Surely if you do not count your dollars, then AIX would be fine.

Perhaps you don't understand the purpose of an operating system. We are talking about this in c.d.o.server. Precisely what is the value of a GUI sucking up CPU cycles?

> They even run 9iR2 RACs with W2K.

Who is they? No Amazon.com. No FBI. Not your credit card company. Not numerous banks and financial institutions. Not The Boeing Company. So who.

> Even standalone boxes are used in mission critical apps!

Do you have a point or are you just a Window user trying to come up with support to counter DBAs and UNIX SysAdmins who are laughing at you? My bet ... you have minimal or no UNIX skills and are afraid you might have to learn something new. Or worse yet ... read a manual.

I repeat what I said before:
Mission critical <> Windows
HA <> Windows

Mission critical BTW means that if you lose it the company files for bankruptcy. Not that some self-important manager runs around proclaiming how important their department is.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org