Re: Question: RMAN frustration

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 19 Jul 2005 15:50:51 -0700

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96565/compat.htm#631853

> This is not at odds with what you were saying, but I think I've been
> assuming I could use the 9i executable in all cases. This appears to be
> my error.
>
> My concern is that I can retain all functionality within RMAN which
> exists under 9i that does not exist under 8i, if there is any. I guess

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96565/obs_comm.htm#631385

I'm just doing simple things nocatalog, and for me the 8 to 9 upgrade of my rman command files meant removing things which are now properly defaulted, and changing archivelog crosschecking.

> I better compare the feature lists of the 2 versions before I get in a
> twist about that side of it. There is also some sense out there that
> 9i's RMAN is better than 8i, but I think it's more the case that the
> version 7 RMAN is the one that sucked. If it's the case that both the
> 8i and 9i executables can provide me with the required functionality
> and stability, I imagine that upgrading the catalogs will allow me to
> back up all instances centrally.
>
> I'll do some more digging. Thanks!

Don't miss the init.ora compatibility mode option, you can run 9 as 8 should you need to be so curmudgeonly.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Because President Johnson was afraid of bringing in China and starting