Re: How to specify an Oracle Home in .NET

From: <tewall_at_lycos.com>
Date: 19 Jul 2005 13:49:35 -0700

The product belongs to another company; I'm just trying to install it. It works when I use the Oracle "Home Selector" to create the right Oracle home (i.e., one which works) as the default Oracle home. As far as I can tell, this does nothing to the registry, but changes the order of the path so that .NET will pick up that one first. This works fine, but is a global solution, and requires that I use as the default Oracle Home an Oracle Home which works for .NET, which is rather a piggish way for .NET to behave. It would be more reasonable for it to work like other applications which allow you to specify an environment which doesn't impact the entire operating system, and thus every other operating sytem, in order to work, which of course impacts every other application on that machine.

What we're looking at doing is giving the .NET application its own machine so it can have its own play pen all to itself, since it doesn't seem to be good at sharing. However, I'm posting my question to make sure that I am not being ignorant in my thinking. If there is some way to locally set up things so that the .NET application can get its Oracle Home without impacting every other application, I would like to know that. So far, I haven't been able to come up with anything.

I appreciate all of our comments. Received on Tue Jul 19 2005 - 15:49:35 CDT