Re: License for server

From: Andreas Sheriff <spamcontrol_at_iion.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 16:27:02 -0700

"Fra" <frafra_at_virgilio.it> wrote in message news:EUVCe.83066$h5.3487560_at_news3.tin.it...
> Hi, I've readed the Oracle site but I haven't know....
>
> If I've a server (1 processor) with a Web Application (.NET) that uses
> Oracle... and all internet users will connect to this application, witch
> licence Must I to buy?? and witch price??
>
> Thanks!

To get a more detailed answer, contact your respective Oracle representative. They can be a little pushy, but they'll tell you what you need.

Someone borrowed my Introduction to SQL for Oracle Certification book and haven't returned it, but if memory serves me, I believe Oracle now has two licensing methodologies:

Per User: You have to license each and every user that will access your application. This is not suitable for a web specific application.

Per Processor: You have to license each processor that is in the physical machine. You cannot tell Oracle to use just one processor.

I've been told that Standard Edition 1 ($4995 US) is suitable for most applications.

Speak with your Oracle representative and he/she will guide through the decision of which Oracle application to purchase.

--
Andreas
Oracle 9i Certified Professional

"If you don't eat your meat, you cannot have any pudding.
"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?!?!"
---

WARNING:
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL
Reply to me only on this newsgroup