Re: Urgent, 2 instances on same server, instance failover scenario..

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2005 07:13:45 -0700

Daniel, I am pretty sure I am not incorrect. In order to be able to make full use of TAF you must make OCI calls in your application. You cannot just take the code you run today and have it fail over. We run on RAC and when an instance dies all running applications on that instance die. The other instance performs backup and new connection go to the remaining instance. But running code is not automatically switched over. To get that feature to work you have to code for it.

Improvements with this feature are bound to be provided with new releases but on 9.2 there is very little that is automatic about this feature and I do not think 10g has changed much.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Jul 18 2005 - 09:13:45 CDT