Re: Most performant way to code client script.

From: Rob Wolfe <wolfe.rob_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2005 19:28:58 -0700

I would strongly suggest that you take a long hard look at the analytical functions available in oracle. There is almost no chance that you will have to completely re-invent the wheel.

I have to agree with Jim that I have never had to write C/Java/C++ (whatever) to increase the speed of an oracle query and quite honestly cannot imagine the circumstance where i would have to for THAT particular reason.

I would also suggest that you first get a good grounding in how Oracle's flavour of SQL can help you before learning PL/SQL. I often find that folks do not think of things in the kind of set-oriented ways that make SQL powerful and instead do as you originally suggested and use a RDBMS as simply a storage mechanism. If that is all you are using it for you are spending a large amount of money for very little return

Rob Received on Sun Jul 17 2005 - 21:28:58 CDT