Re: 10g RAC design options

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:00:18 -0700

Bernd Haug wrote:

> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org> wrote:
>

>>Nothing like? Are you serious? The differences are the differences
>>between purchasing a Ford or a Toyota. How hard is it for a mechanic
>>that knows one to learn how to repair the other?

> I really don't want to start another DBA vs. sysadmin flamewar here, but
> I do in fact think that this is the DBA equivalent of some sysadmin's
> treating DBA like they were experts on glorified CSV files: Wrong, and
> slightly insulting.
>
> Just because the interface to the end-user (and here, the DB is just
> another userland process) is similar doesn't mean the internals are much
> similar in many cases.
>
> To use your analogy, the cars might be similar to use, and in fact they
> are similar internally.
>
> But how would the situation be if the cars were similar to drive, but
> when opening the hood, the Ford admi^Wmechanic sees a fusion reactor in
> the Toyota? I'd advise him to step back.

BASH is BASH
KORN is KORN
man pages are man pages
su - is su -

There are differences ... but unless someone is inexperienced in UNIX the differences are nits not major issues.

I have personally worked in Solaris, HP/UX, AIX, RHEL, Teradata, and OSX/Darwin.

Sure I've sworn my fair share of oaths being stupid and not RTFMing. But whose fault was that? Why is it that DBAs can RTM and work in multiple databases but SysAdmins get their knickers in an uproar when asked to learn something new? Don't answer ... it was a purely rhetorical question.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org