Copy of schema only

From: Paulos <Nospam_at_none.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 21:48:13 +0200

I have just started a new job which was supposed to involve tuning some SQL & PL/SQL code on an Orarcle 9i database; however it seems that I am also supposed to be the DBA for this database (with the exception of backups which are apparently done by nameless persons at the site where the DBs are housed). Had I known this I would not have taken the job...I am NOT an Oracle DBA and never claimed to be; I find it difficult to understand how they could have got the match between the job spec and my CV so wrong.

Thats the background.

The prod DB is Oracle 9i running on HP-UX (version unknown) and the dev DB is also Oracle 9i but running on Linux (version also unknown). The Prod DB is in a remote datacentre to which I have access via a VERY slow secure link. The dev DB is on a box in the office where I work.

I have been asked to copy the entire Prod schema (without any data) to dev and I am unsure of the best method of doing it. Worse yet, my Unix knowledge is "20 years ago at college never used it since".

I would be really grateful for any suggestions anyone can make.

TIA P Received on Fri Jul 15 2005 - 14:48:13 CDT