Re: Urgent, 2 instances on same server, instance failover scenario..

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 15 Jul 2005 08:44:02 -0700

nirav wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I am most thankful for your so detailed reply...I am relatively new on
> cluster related issues and this is big help...Also I could get to speak
> to my senior dba and he said :
>
> $. oraenv
> \ORACLE_SID = [sid1] ? sid2
> sid2
>
> That does it! he also said that this was possible also by changing the
> ORACLE_SID parameter...
>
> I take this oppertunity to ask one more question , though it is quite
> unrelated to above topic(that issue is resolved):
>
> Solaris 8 is a free download, but can it be installed on Intel
> platform? I have 2 pcs at my home and I want to set up a testing set up
> where I can do all sorts of R & D , like setting up RAC etc..- and to
> simulate my work environment at my home, I want to have same os, same
> database set up.
>
> So I would like to have solaris 8 as os and oracle 9i database, on my 2
> home pcs , but is it possible?
>
> Sorry I must be sounding naive...
> Once again, I am most thankful for your detailed answer...
>
> Nirav

Nirav, yes, what you want to do is "somewhat" possible. To run RAC of course on must have some kind of "shared dasd" ... disks that are available from both machines.

Usually for an in-expensive setup people use firewire shared disks such as the maxtor series.

Solaris on intel (x86) had a lot of problems for a long time firewire devices but may ( not on Solaris 8 but on 10 I would recommend ) ... may be able to do what you want.

I am un-aware of setup guides for doing rac on solaris x86 but you should probably check out the google group for sun solaris people there may be able to help you out.

There are a ton of people playing around with rac on a 2 pc setup but most of them are going after it with linux. There are some excellent resources available such as www.puschitz.com that you should check out. Received on Fri Jul 15 2005 - 10:44:02 CDT