Re: 9.2.0.4 - RHEL3

From: Billy <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: 15 Jul 2005 04:49:22 -0700

Tom wrote:
> I currently have a script running made up of
>
> select username, count(*) from v$session group by username
>
> that spools to a text file to give me number of connected users at any
> one time. How can i see how many sessions are also active at that time?

Tom, careful with the wording. Do you mean active sessions as in all connections to Oracle? Do you mean active sessions as in Oracle sessions that are currently busy processing client requests? Do you include system sessions with your question?

The V$SESSION view shows all existing Oracle connections. Idle and active. Including system connections. Basically each session that has attached to the Oracle SGA.

A session can be a dedicated process. Or a session can be a pooled connection that is serviced by the shared pool - in which case that session "belongs" to a dispatcher process and is in turn "serviced" by a shared server process.

I suggest that you point your browser at http://tahiti.oracle.com and have a look at the Oracle Reference guide. It lists all the V$ views and gives a description of each, including what the columns contain. Note that these V$ views are in fact views on Oracle memory structures and not Oracle database data. Next, take a look at the Oracle Concepts guide - specifially the processing architecture chapter which will explain in detail just what the V$PROCESS and V$SESSION views show.

--
Billy