Urgent, 2 instances on same server, instance failover scenario..

From: nirav <shivam71_at_gmail.com>
Date: 15 Jul 2005 02:02:27 -0700

Hi,

We have a veritas cluster set up and 2 oracle 9i database(on solaris) forming the cluster. Now one of the instances (of database1)has failed over from one node(the usual node,say node1) to another(say node2). Also on the node to which it has failedover(id node2) , there is an instance of another database (database 2)also running.

Thus on node 2,

We have:

  1. its usual instance(of database 2)
  2. the failed over instance from node 1 (of database 1).

Here is my problem:

When i connect to node 2, I am able to connect only to its usual instance (database 2), but not to the instance of database 1. How can i connect to this failed over in stance?

My guess is to set the oracle_sid variable to the name of the database1, (as we do in windows when we have multiple database...) But is this guess right? or does it have any sideeffects or implications? Senior dba is away and I need to know quick...

Any help, I am greatful.. Received on Fri Jul 15 2005 - 04:02:27 CDT