Re: Hot and Cold backups

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 19:29:41 GMT

"Frank van Bortel" <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:db6d38$vcc$1_at_news1.zwoll1.ov.home.nl...
> Randy Harris wrote:
>

> > I realize they are rolled back. What happens to them? Do they get
> > processed when the database comes back up?
> >

> Once rolled back, it is a consistent piece of work; nothing to
> do when starting up, as far as Oracle is concerned.
>
> And even when kept, think about it: they weren't finished,
> so what is there to act? Do the same unfinished business
> again?
>
> And then what? Rollback or commit?
>
> Oracle isn't such an oracle it can read your mind and be
> sure about your intentions with the transaction in the
> first place.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel

Thanks for the explanation. As I posted earlier, I was under the impression that shutdown immediate was safe, no transactions could be lost. I understand now that is not the case. If I want to be certain that no data is lost, I need to use shutdown transactional. Received on Thu Jul 14 2005 - 14:29:41 CDT